22 years experience,
Effective, Proven & Affordable
Call 62237876 now!
Welcome to Leo Magan!
Is your child left behind in school because of his speech, language or social skills difficulties?
Are his difficulties having a negative impact on his self-esteem, socialization, and school results?
Do you constantly worry about whether your child can keep up with school work?
Does your heart ache when you see your child being left out by other children because of his speech, language, or social skill problem?
If your answer is 'Yes' to any of the questions above, please read on...
It troubles us when we see children and adults missing out on effective speech and language therapy that can change their lives for the better.
We are a learning centre specialising in helping children and adults to overcome their speech, language or social skill difficulties in order to make the most of their lives.
We combine both therapy as well as enrichment principles to achieve results effectively and efficiently.
Children with difficulties need the highly specialised knowledge of speech and language therapy so that their difficulties can be accurately targeted and learning is effective.
In addition, your child needs to practise and consolidate his newly learnt speech and language skills over time (just like any learning or enrichment process) so that he can apply them to achieve real results at home and in school.
Here are some examples of your child's difficulties that we are able to offer help for:
Difficulties with English language and Maths word problem in school (primary or pre-school) or poor attention span:
- He can add numbers, subtract, multiply etc but gets poor grades in Maths because he struggles with words used in the Maths word problems.
- He scores well on spelling tests but gets poor scores on reading comprehension tasks
- She comes home with the same reading homework week after week because she is not making progress.
- He reads aloud clearly and fluently, but cannot tell you what the story is about, and fails to answer questions about the story.
Speech difficulties or problems in school or at home:
- He gets teased by his friends because his speech is unclear.
- She is unable to tell you what happens in school, what she needs, or how she feels.
- She speaks in fragments or incomplete sentences, jumbles up her words, and you find yourself asking questions repeatedly just to clarify what she means.
- He struggles to get his words out fluently, and you are concerned that he may be stuttering.
- He gets teased or even ostracized by his friends because he stutters.
- Teachers think he is under-performing because he knows the answers but is not expressing himself.
Social interaction problems in school or at home:
- He is unable to follow instructions in school, or gets into trouble because he misunderstands the instructions given by teachers.
- He has difficulty making friends and interacting with them, and gets left out because of his poor social skills.
Why does your child have speech and language difficulty?
Your child's speech,language or social skill difficulties may be due to any of the following:
- ... and others.
It is important that the fundamental cause of your child's speech and language difficulty is diagnosed in order to save you and your child precious time, money and effort.
"The only thing worse than doing nothing is doing the wrong things enthusiastically."
When should you refer a child for speech and language therapy?
Based on typical developmental milestones, you should refer your child to see us if he/she:
- does not understand simple verbal instructions or questions by about 2 years.
- is not using simple sentences by about 3 years.
- has unclear speech and is difficult to understand by about 3.5 years.
- has reading difficulty (suspected Dyslexia) by 5 or 6 years old and may not be ready for primary school.
- has persistent language processing difficulties in school, e.g. reading comprehension difficulties in English & word problem difficulties in Maths.
- has other communication difficulties, e.g. stammering or voice problems.
If a child has speech or language difficulties, he may not 'grow out of it'.
We have helped many adults who felt themselves disadvantaged in their social interaction or career because they did not address their speech & language problem when young.
Without starting therapy early, a child's speech or language skills could fall further behind his peers as he grows older.
How have our clients benefited from our services?
- Children who used to have difficulty paying attention in school now have better attention and participate in class because they have better language comprehension
- Children who used to get frustrated or teased for their articulation or stuttering are now able to speak more clearly (e.g. 'l', 's', 'r' etc) or more fluently.
- Children who used to 'act up' have fewer tantrums because they can understand instructions and can also verbalize their needs
- Children who found it difficult to pick up reading in conventional classes now utilize other learning strategies to become better readers.
- Children who otherwise may not be ready for school enrolment are now able to join their peers in school.
Here's what our satisfied parents and adult clients say:
"Jared has benefit enormously after attending sessions here both with remedial and therapy classes given.
Most of all the lessons are affordable that allows me to continue engaging them to help my child to develop further."
- Father of Jared (6 years old), Singapore
“Intervention has done so much for my daughter and as a parent who has gone through difficult periods where the chid is not communicating with me, it is an option all parents should consider. It does wonders and open up a world of words, sound, engaging interaction and drama! “
- Mother of Clara (Primary 1), Singapore
"I believe that not all problems can be solved on your own, sometimes you'll need a guide. The cost vs return ratio is well worth it. I think the therapy is well worth it. I am happy to have found LeoMagan."
- Thomas (Adult), America
"Leo Magan's way of teaching stammerers to overcome their difficulties is very effective... Now I'm able to speak more clearly and fluently. This in fact has changed my life and helped to boost my morale..."
- Adrian (Adult), Canada
"Kieran started speech language therapy about a year ago whereby he was only able to communicate in single words... Now he has transformed into a bubbly boy, speaking in complete sentences and able to express his thoughts clearly.
I believe all children with speech and/or language delay can benefit with Leo Magan classes as the contents are practical and aligned to school syllabus."
- Mother of Kieran (Primary 2), Singapore
"SQ's reading skills improved by leaps and bounds (her reading scale improved by 9 months) after just 3 months of therapy at Leo Magan. Initially she was able to learn 2 new words a day after 1 hour... Now, she's able to learn her spelling list within 1-2 hours. She has scored full marks in spelling, English tests..."
- Mother of J.H. (primary 3) and S.Q. (primary 1), Singapore
"After just a few lessons, Hailey's speech fluency improved significantly. Through fun exercises and games during the classes, Hailey was able to learn tools and techniques to help her effectively overcome her stuttering. Much to our delight and relief, Hailey now no longer stutters at all!"
- Mother of Hailey (5 years old), Australian
"When Shawn started his speech language therapy at Leo Magan, he had problems expressing his thoughts... He was diagnosed with Specific Language Impairment (SLI).
The teaching staff at Leo Magan are encouraging, positive and sincere. After a year with her, Shawn is such a different boy now. He is chatty and always looking forward to communicate with peers (making friends) and isn't afraid to try. No words can express our sincere gratitude. All our lives have been changed! "
- Annie, mother of Shawn (Primary 3), Singapore
"Previously she was often bullied & ostracized by her friends as she could not verbalize her needs... she is now able to communicate successfully with her peers & teachers.
Grace has not only enjoyed her lessons, she has shown tremendous improvement & progress in her speech & this is attributed to the dedication, patience & commitment of the teaching staff at Leo Magan."
- Mother of Grace (6 years old), Singapore
"I am sure no parents would like the idea of your own child being labelled autistic... Gabriel started to use his vocabulary from the very first appointment at Leo Magan Speech Sanctuary. The therapist teaches us ways to help him to start talking and maintaining eye contact...
I am so glad that his autistic review has given us good feedback that 'Gabriel may not be in the spectrum anymore'."
- Jasmine, mother of Gabriel (3 years old), Singapore
Who are we and how are we qualified to help you?
Our founder, Ms Magan Chen brings with her more than 22 years of experience in both private hospital and enrichment centre settings. This gives us exceptional understanding of our clients' medical and school needs.
She has helped more than 1500 individuals to overcome their speech, language or learning difficulties.
Ms. Magan Chen trained in London, U.K. (M.Sc. Human Communication) and Sydney, Australia (B. App. Sc. in Speech Pathology).
Magan is a registered Certified Practising Speech Language Pathologist (CPSP) with the Speech Pathology Australia.
She helped found the Speech Language and Hearing Association Singapore (SHAS) - the professional body which represents Speech Therapists in Singapore and served as its founding President.
We receive regular referrals from Paediatricians, ENTs, Psychiatrists, Doctors, Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Childcare centres, Kindergartens, Primary Schools and other established therapy or enrichment centres.
What is the Speech Language Therapist's role in helping children or adults with communication difficulties?
Speech and language therapy training specifically addresses normal speech and language development, what can go wrong when children do not develop normal speech and language skills, and specific therapy techniques to help people with such difficulties when normal ways of teaching may not be sufficient.
"Speech pathologists (therapists) are university trained professionals whoassess and treat people who have a communication disability. Speech pathologists (therapists) work with all aspects of communication including speech, writing, reading, signs, symbols and gestures." - Speech Pathology Australia.
At Leo Magan Speech Sanctuary, we offer:
- Individual or group sessions to improve your child's communication, oral presentation and social skills in school.
- Programs customized to your child's school syllabus to achieve maximum progress at non premium prices.
- Result-oriented, proven programs taught in a positive and supportive environment.
- Weekday or weekend sessions to suit busy working parents
- Support for parents (regular feedback, how to teach your child better etc) for optimum results.
- English or Mandarin sessions according to your preference.
If you have any doubts or concerns, please seek professional advice.
Please call us at: (65) 6223-7876 for an appointment.